Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bruce Nauman and Dash Snow: What Should Be Considered Art?

Bruce Nauman and Dash Snow were artists we looked at in order to understand and answer the questions about what art is, the creativity of art and the impressions and connections one makes with pieces of art. They both considered their everyday life to be art.  Bruce Nauman is a contemporary, conceptual artist that creates videos, sculptures, paintings, neon’s and prints.  He is a creative and unusual artist that looks at actions including, speech and movements and considers them art.  The reactions and ideas to his pieces of artwork can be different for every viewer. Here are some of his pieces of artwork:

BRUCE NAUMAN:

Video:

"Mapping the Studio 1"


 "Clown Torture"



Neons:

Sculpture:






Dash Snow was another artist that used his own life to create art.  His collages and Polaroid’s showed and expressed his everyday life.  Although there are arguments to whether his art should have been recognized in the art world, it was recognized. Freedom to like and dislike and the process of appreciating art for whatever it might mean is extremely important in the art world.  Here are a few of his pieces:




I don't find that I have a connection with Bruce Nauman's artwork.  I would never be interested looking or purchasing any of his art pieces.  I do not agree with him that speech and movements are art.  Dash Snows artwork I believe is very interesting and expresses a world unknown to many people.  I find his artwork at many times to be repulsive, but I also fine them to be intriguing, unlike Bruce Nauman's artwork.

Bruce Nauman's Videos:  Documented his daily life, considered actions and movements art itself.  I felt his videos weren't interesting and I don't know if I personally would consider them to be art.

Dash Snow Photo Collages:  Dash Snow another artist that created his work by documenting his everyday life.  Although I think his photos are incredibly a times scary, weird and extremely weird, I thought that his artwork is much more interesting then Bruce Naumans.  His artwork hides nothing about his everyday life and even though sometimes its weird and hard to look at there is something intriguing about being able to see the record of his life.
Mia Powers

No comments:

Post a Comment